This Kabocha Salad is sweet, creamy and simply delicious. This is a perfect way to showcase this underrated vegetable!
Before starting this blog, I have always had a fear of squash and pumpkins. (or anything with hard shells!) This was because I was afraid of 1. cutting my hands off by accident, 2. it seemed so large and 3. I lacked the knowledge of cooking for these lovely vegetables!
But after making this kabocha salad, I think it has changed my life and I hope it will transform yours too! This salad is so easy to make, it’s so healthy and the best part is that its super ADDICTIVE from both the flavor and the texture. (like smashed sweet potato but lighter!)
HOW TO MAKE THIS KABOCHA SALAD
- Peel, and cut kabocha into chunks!
- Boil/simmer until fork tender.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and add salt for 10 minutes (to draw out water to make it more crunchy!)
- Strain cucumber and squeeze out any extra water.
- Strain kabocha, smash and add cucumber, vegan mayo, lemon juice and little bit of salt!
- Chill and serve!
Let’s dive in, but before we begin, let’s learn about this dish’s health benefits!
DISCLAIMER ALERT! All of my posts are not intended to treat or override the decision to see your personal doctor or physician. I strongly advise everyone to discuss any serious condition or to your medical health provider. Everything I say and write are all based on personal experience and through reading materials provided by medical professionals. I believe everyone’s body is unique and there’s no one miracle diet or medicine for everyone! I am here only to provide and share knowledge I have learned from the general holistic wellness point of view. All of the information and recipes that I am providing are safe for majority of people. All of the information listed can be found through the reference
- Excellent source for beta-carotene where it benefits hair, nail, immunity and eyes.
- One of the lowest calorie squash in the squash family.
- Free of cholesterol and fat.
- Perfect source of fiber.
- Improves digestion.
- Quenches thirst.
- Low in calories.
- Good for digestion as well.
—. “Kabocha Squash Nutrition Benefits Digestion, Blood Sugar & More.” Dr. Axe, 9 Dec. 2019, draxe.com/nutrition/kabocha-squash-nutrition.
Kabocha Salad (Vegan+GF)
- ¼ kabocha, cut into chunks without skin
- ¼ english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel and cut kabocha into chunks.
- Place the kabocha into a pot of water and boil for about 10 minutes or fork tender.
- Drain and smash the kabocha in a bowl.
- In another bowl, place thinly sliced cucumber with salt and rest for 10 minutes.
- Drain the cucumber and squeeze the liquid out. Combine mayo, lemon juice and the smashed kabocha. Mix well and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.
Have you tried out this recipe? If so, feel free to tag me @brainbeautybody for a chance to get featured. I also would love it if you comment below and let me know if you have made any substitutions and how it turned out for you!