Summer would not be summer without this classic Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Salad. Delicious to the bite and packed with tons of health benefits.
What’s summer without this Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Salad?! I am always excited about spring and summer because I love seeing and discovering new bright and colorful fruit and vegetables. I absolutely love making and plating salads. Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also a very creative process since you can add all kinds of colorful vegetables to the salad and the best part is there are no rules!
This light and delicious salad is packed with all kinds of health benefits! (find out more in the benefits section below!)
This is also a great dish to make for those looking to indulge on a salad but doesn’t want the extra calories from salad dressings. If you are looking for a salad that also uses very light dressing like this one, then try my Fall Potato Salad.
INSPIRATION BEHIND THIS TOMATO MOZZARELLA AND BASIL SALAD?
This salad was originally inspired by the famous caprese salad, which has almost the same ingredients as this salad, which composes of mozzarella, tomato, basil and a dressing made with balsamic and olive oil. So there’s really very little difference except for creativity! Today, I will be adding cucumbers because I need to empty the fridge! (Which is really a good way to use up any leftovers in the fridge!) You can also add other types of veggies and or protein of choice!
Before we get cooking, let’s learn about the ingredients in this dish and just how it can effect our body from both beneficial and “things to watch out for” point of view.
DISCLAIMER ALERT! All posts are not intended to treat or override the decision to see your personal doctor and physician. I strongly advise everyone to discuss any serious condition with your medical health provider. Everything I say and write are all based on personal experience and through reading materials provided by medical professionals. I believe everyone’s body is unique and there’s no one miracle diet or medicine for everyone! I am only here to provide and share knowledge I have learned from the general holistic wellness point of view. All of the information and recipes that I am providing are safe for majority of people. All of the information listed can be found through the reference section.
- Mozzarella is a great choice of cheese for those who are looking for lower sodium options.
- Cucumber quenches thirst and cools down your body.
- Basil naturally warms the body.
- It can also stimulate the digestion, relieve anxiety, depression and even headache.
- Lastly, it can also help regulate blood sugar level.
- Tomato is considered a cold food, which helps your body cool down during the hotter days, quench your thirst and cools blood.
- It’s heart healthy and builds a barrier around your immunity system.
- May help those who have asthma as it fights the harmful substance in your lungs.
- And it can help build a barrier for your skin to prevent from sun damage.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- Anyone who experiences acid reflux, IBS or have any digestive stress, it is best to avoid consuming too much tomato as that it contains malic acid and citric acid and it can agitate those symptoms more.
- Excess amount of tomatoes can cause inflammation. A compound called “solanine” can cause built up in your joint and tissues, which can make your body ache.
- If you are suffering from migraine, try to omit this dish or reduce intake of tomato and see if that is the culprit.
Goldsmith, E., & Klein, M. (2017). Foods that heal: their nature, flavor and therapeutic value according to Chinese medicine. In Nutritional healing with Chinese medicine: +175 recipes for optimal health (pp. 184–205). essay, Robert Rose Inc.
Zelman, MPH, RD, LD , K. M. (2019, November 5). The health benefits of tomatoes. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss/slideshow-tomato-health-benefits.
Cassoobhoy MD, MPH, A. (2020, August 24). Health benefits of basil. WebMD. https://www.webmd.com/diet/health-benefits-basil#2.
Have you tried out this recipe? If so, feel free to tag me @brainbeautybody for a chance to get featured. I also would love it if you comment below and let me know if you have made any substitutions and how it turned out for you!
Tomato Mozzarella and Basil Salad (GF)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dark balsamic or balsamic glaze
- pinch salt
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese, torn into bite sizes (I used Galbani brand)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade or chopped
- 2 mini cucumber, sliced optional
- In a large plate, lay fresh tomato slices or cherry tomato halves around the plate.(If using beefsteak tomato or any other type of large tomatoes, you can slice and lay it with mozzarella in a circular format!)
- Toss in mozzarella pieces and top with basil.
- If using balsamic dressing, combine olive oil and balsamic together and drizzle onto the salad. Season with a little bit of salt. (If using balsamic glaze, just drizzle the salad with olive oil first and finish it off with balsamic glaze)
- Season with pinch(es) of salt all over and serve cold or chill until you are ready to serve.